Tuesday 22 February 2011

Ambika P3


For this year only the Ambika P3 space will host this years Deutsche Borse Photography Prize. The shortlisted artists are Roe Ethridge (b.1969, USA) nominated for his solo exhibition at Les Recontres d’Arles Photography 2010, France (3 July – 19 September 2010), Thomas Demand (b.1964, Germany) is nominated for his exhibition,Nationalgalerie, at Neue Nationalgalerie, Berlin (18 September 2009 – 17 January 2010), Jim Goldberg (b.1953, USA) is nominated for his exhibition Open See at The Photographers’ Gallery, London (16 October 2009 – 31 January 2010) and Elad Lassry (b.1977, Israel) is nominated for his exhibition Elad Lassry at Kunsthalle Zürich (13 February – 25 April 2010).

For me, the two in the running are Thomas Demand and Elad Lassry, both use the medium of photography in the most innovative way to document their conception. I have always been a great fan of Demand's but presented with Lassry's , I must admit I am not very familiar with his work, but what I have seen I feel to be incredibly topical as it discusses the use of photography with reference to authorship, appropriation and of course the notion of originality. Once I have seen the show I will of course write a note to say who I feel is the winner, (in my eyes of course.)

Image above: Elad Lassry, Man 071, 2007 © Elad Lassry/ Courtesy of David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles, CA

Exhibition runs from 5th April - 1st May 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive