Tuesday 6 December 2011

Tacita Dean

I have been meaning to post about this beautiful show currently on at the Turbine Hall at the Tate Modern that I went to see two weekends ago. I can honestly say that is a truly stunning, tender, visualisation of what analogue film means to an artist. The darkened Turbine hall is lit up with the central column of 35 mm film, changing, developing in terms of colour, shape and emotion. In some ways it's very reminiscent of the act of processing film, silent, soft with marks that appear then disappear. The film is incredibly beautiful and very inspiring.

As Tacita states, "I chose to make an experimental 35 mm film inside the camera, and so revive spontaneity and risk. I wanted to show film as film can be, and use no post-production other than my normal editing process and the grading that happens in the lab..... I found its rhythm and metre from the material itself, relying not only on the images I had, but on what is normally considered waste: the picture fading at the tail end of a roll, the shimmering metamorphosis of a colour filter change.... "Film" is about film, and in the end, I let the material's intrinsic magic be my guide."

Tacita's film is on from 11th October 2011 until 11th March 2012 at The Tate Modern

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive